TRAVEL TO COLLEGE 2023/2024
(Information is provisional at this time and will be updated in June 2023 in readiness for enrolment)
QMC has a Green Travel Plan which commits us to cutting down car use to the site as much as possible - both for the benefit of the neighbourhood and to reduce the College’s impact on the wider environment.
When thinking about travel to College, look for the most environmentally friendly form of transport:
- Consider walking or cycling to College if you live within Basingstoke. These methods of travel are cheap, keep you fit and are good for the environment. There are many safe walking routes to College and an improved network of safe cycle routes. Ample covered cycle parking is available at the College. There are also showers available for use and lockers in which you can store equipment.
- Take public transport. College buses or Stagecoach services are available on most routes to College. It takes approximately 20 minutes to walk from the bus or train stations.
- If you are being given a lift to College you must use the turning circle and drop off point at the far end of Cliddesden Road. Please be considerate to our neighbours and do not park in neighbouring streets or block driveways.
- Parking spaces on the site are very limited and priority is given to students who have completed at least one full year at the College and meet the set criteria. Be aware that passing your driving test will not give you the automatic right to park at College. The issue of a permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space.
If you wish to apply for a parking permit to access the site by car, an application form is available from the Help Desk. Each application will be considered on its merits and special cases will be viewed sympathetically. The smartcards currently cost £120 for the whole academic year, £80 from the Spring Term onwards and £40 for the Summer Term (the charges may be reviewed).
COLLEGE BUS SERVICES – The current cost for an annual College bus pass is £495 (charges will be reviewed for the new academic year)
For students who live in the Andover, Burghfield, Fleet/Yateley/Hartley Wintney, Hook/Odiham/Warnborough,Newbury/Headley/Kingsclere, or Whitchurch/Overton areas, the College organises private coach transport. We recognise that transport represents a significant cost to families and offer annual passes at very competitive rates. As the services are contracted annually, tickets are only issued on an annual basis and payments are not refundable. Please make payment by card only. Places are limited and are awarded on a first come first served basis, so please apply early via the June enrolment packs.
College buses have the advantage of delivering you directly onto the College site each morning and returning you at the end of the day. They are faster and more direct than the scheduled services, but they only run once a day each way in term time and you will have trapped time at College when you are not in timetabled lessons. They are not used by members of the general public. The passes cannot be used on Stagecoach services.
How to Apply for a College Bus Pass
If you wish to apply for a College Bus pass, complete the online application form, details of which will be in the application pack issued in June. For further information please contact the Help Desk on 01256 417500.
Current routes, which are subject to change, as is the bus price for the next academic year, can be found on our website: www.qmc.ac.uk
STAGECOACH BUS SERVICES
Prices will be available to view on the Stagecoach website. We will send out a link to their information in the June enrolment pack.
To use scheduled Stagecoach bus services to and from College you will need to purchase a StudentRider Basingstoke (local/inner Basingstoke), or a StudentRider Gold (for those living outside Basingstoke). You must apply for the zone appropriate to your address and this will be checked. The Stagecoach bus pass has the advantage that it can also be used in the evenings, at weekends and during holidays, without additional payments, for travel within your area. You must carry photo ID in support of your bus pass.
- Student rate tickets will be available to any full time student aged 16+.
- Applications are made through the Stagecoach website and issued as a smartcard.
- Replacement smartcards can be requested by students through the Stagecoach website or by phone.
- It is not possible to pay QMC for a Stagecoach Bus Pass.
- If you live within the Basingstoke town area and wish to purchase a weekly or monthly bus pass you can do so by contacting Stagecoach directly.
How to Apply for a Stagecoach Bus Pass
For information regarding bus timetables, zone maps, etc, please visit the Stagecoach website. Applications can be made online from early August through Stagecoach:
If you do not have access to the internet please contact Stagecoach on 0345 121 0190.
SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAY SERVICES (SWR)
16-17 Saver -
If you are aged 16 or 17 you can enjoy 50% off standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Advance and Season tickets, helping you save money on travel to college, trips into town, days out to the coast, or weekend festivals. The Saver is valid for one year or until you turn 18. You can use the 16-17 discounted tickets on National Rail services across Great Britain (but not on ScotRail and Caledonian Sleeper services).
16-25 Railcard – The Railcard saves you a third off train tickets across the country in standard class.
Contact South Western Railway for further information.